[Newbies] What is a "weak" reference

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Mon Jul 14 15:42:43 UTC 2008

A weak reference is simply a reference that will not prevent an object
from being garbage collected.  It is common to use a weak reference in
back pointers when you know you are having circularities.  It is
practically a pattern, when building a hierarchy of objects, to make
the parent pointer in parent child type structures a weak reference.

So how do you make a weak reference? You stick a WeakArray in as a
holder.  So in your parent/child objects you would write something like:

Node>>parent
	^ parent ifNotNil: [parent first] ifNil: [parent]

Node>>parent: p
	parent := p ifNotNil: [WeakArray with: p] ifNil: [p]

thus using a WeakArray as a holder for the parent.

When a weak reference gets garbage collected, its weak references are
set to nil first.