[Newbies] Re: Troubleshooting headless running of RFB

John Chandler morph at growler.net
Wed Jul 16 11:55:03 UTC 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:48:42 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> I installed the RFB (vnc viewer/server) package on my Debian server,
>> to which I don't have console access.  There appears to be a problem
>> with it, because the connection is refused.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Did you configure RFBServer to allow remote connections?
>
> Before you saved the snapshot, did you close all connections (also
> from RFBServer's connections submenue)?

Yes. The problem was more basic: root privileges are required.  D-OH!

I should have known this, but while I avoid running as root as a very
ingrained policy, this makes it impossible to open a socket to the
outside
world.

I looked around for a discussion of security issues with Seaside, and
didn't
come up with much.  Are there ways of limiting the damage a malicious
person could get a root-enabled Squeak to do?  I know it's a bit more
obscure than Apache, but still.

Thanks for answering.

-jmc