[Newbies] Re: Troubleshooting headless running of RFB

Kenneth W Brown III pliny at ptelder.net
Wed Jul 16 22:32:12 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> I don't think anyone serious runs their Seaside installation as root.
> Most common is to proxy via Apache, but you can also use firewall
> settings to make your Seaside port appear as port 80 to the outside
> world, even though it actually is running on a non-privileged port.

This is solid advice, but I think John's issue is with his VNC
connection. He's been saying that's on port 5900, which is outside the
superuser range (1-1023 for those keeping score at home).

I'd recommend trying to telnet to the VNC server while the image is
running. If you get a bunch of text with the letters rfb in it, then you
know it's working.

- Ken