[Newbies] Morphic, Tweak and Plopp

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Fri Jul 25 18:12:35 UTC 2008

>> I have just started playing with Plopp (very impressive).  The
>> reason I downloaded it was to see the sort of interfaces that people
>> could build in Squeak.  What I am wondering is whether the UI is
>> built on top of Morphic, or whether it is completely different.
>> Does anyone know?

>The 2D UI is Tweak, the 3D rendering Croquet.

>I'm pretty sure you could do the same kind of UI in Morphic though.
>Just hire great designers ;)

>- Bert -

Ah yes, with a good designer - and enough time - anything is possible :-)

However, you response raises other questions in my mind. In my beginner's
mind, Squeak and Morphic are all wrapped up as one thing. Clearly though,
that isn't the case. So, are there any rules of thumb about when one would
build an application using the Morphic classes and when to use something
else?  Also, what might the 'something elses' be?

For example, it seems as though both Plopp and Sophie use Tweak and Croquet
(if I understand the email thread correctly).  So, does that imply that
Morphic is great of e-toys etc, but not for stand alone applications?

I like being able to play with morphs, but I am trying to build some
applications that are more like Sophie etc.

What do the assembled experts think?  Also, do you think of web browsers
(via Seaside etc) as just another Squeak rendering model, i.e. should that
be added to my list of potential UI libraries, or is it a very different
development process?

Cheers
AB