[Newbies] Linked list structure?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jul 28 11:12:33 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:27:08PM -0400, Marcin Tustin wrote:
> Is there - either as standard, or freely downloadable - a datastructure that
> is ordered, has constant-time appends of items, requires no particular
> protocol of the items stored, and can be iterated over (without allocating a
> new structure) starting with the first item added, proceeding to the next
> item added? I.e. has the characteristics of a linked list structure in most
> other datastructure libraries?

Have a look at class LinkedList. This is one of the "kernel" classes in Squeak
and is used by ProcessorScheduler to manage processes (the "threads" within
a Squeak image, instances of class Process). A Squeak Process is implemented
as a subclass of Link, and it is kept as an entry in the linked list. Try
evaluating "Processor explore" to look at the singleton instance of ProcessorScheduler
that manages these linked lists.

Dave