[Newbies] Problems getting started with OpenGL in Squeak

Nick Ager nick.ager at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 11:53:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'd like to experiment with OpenGL in Squeak. I found the promisingly titled
"Howto - Loading OpenGL in Squeak 3.9" from Jakub Kozisek
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2006-November/001451.html)
and followed the directions:

* install FFI and Balloon3D from SqueakMap. (I used the Universe browser to
install FFI version 3.9.1 and Balloon3D version 0.18.2)
* install OpenGL-ckl.4.mcz from Monticello repository at
http://www.squeaksource.com/OpenGL
* apply change set from
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/attachments/20061118/459ce649/OpenGLUpdate.1.obj
* ensure squeak.ini contains: B3DXUsesOpenGL = 1
* OpenGLMorph new openInWorld.

Unfortunately executing the above line resulted in the following error:

>>> Error: Error a primitive has failed

Examining the stack trace the error appeared to be generated from:

  B3DPrimitiveRasterizerState>>primInitializeBuffers

which reads:
    B3DPrimitiveRasterizerState>>primInitializeBuffers
        <primitive: 'b3dInitializeRasterizerState' module:'Squeak3D'>
        ^self primitiveFailed

I ran the shipped FFI tests and all tests passed.
I'm running under Windows XP SP2 using a VM from
SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6-bin.zip and an image sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1

I downloaded Croquet which displayed it's 3D world successfully, so I
presume my OpenGL drivers are working to some degree, but the Croquet image
adds a lot of code for Corquet and I'd currently interested in experimenting
with OpenGL in a dynamic environment.
As I final test I tied the Croquet VM with my sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1 derived
image, but got the same problem. Any ideas for getting OpenGL to work in a
relatively standard squeak image?

Thanks

Nick