[Newbies] remembering variables

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Jun 3 03:05:30 UTC 2008

>>>>> "peter" == peter h meadows <phm at sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

peter> Oh. I'm still very new to smalltalk. It seemed like it would help me to
peter> understand what's going on. I wanted it to remember everything. E.g if
peter> the thing is an array it will tell me what has been stored in it. Also,
peter> wouldn't it help with code completion? If it knows what type of object
peter> it was in the past it can guess which messages I want to send to
peter> it. That would be useful.

But the problem is that a given type in the past is not any indication of
a type in the future.

You're not "thinking smalltalk" yet.  Stop worrying about types. :)

Oh, and they aren't types.  They're instances of classes.

If you want to see what's going on, learn to single step in the debugger.
It's quite informative.