[Newbies] Squeak in commercial projects

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Fri Mar 7 17:05:02 UTC 2008

Hello RENE,

RP> Can one use Squeak to build and sell applications? My wife is a

definitely yes. License situation is a bit murky but several companies
do this already.

RP> musician and has some ideas for a Music Theory Application and asked
RP> if I could build it. The choices seem to be between Squeak and
RP> VisualWorks.
Get yourself an older Squeak (Squeak 3.6) which has several Music
related projects in it. All musical artefacts I tried (Morphs) are
fine and work in 3.8.2 (haven't tried newer images with music).

RP> If one built an application with Squeak are there tools for packaging
RP> it so that you only ship executables and not the entire development
RP> environment?

No. There is an old but still workable changeset to disable
programmers facilities but otherwise all you could do is grab one of
the minimal images around, load your app and use that to deploy.

Personally I wouldn't, in todays standards Squeak is rather lean.

What you can easily do is get rid of sources and changes files.

If protection is why you want to ship without development environment:
I think it should be possible to do remote debugging on any Squeak
image without loading it and I guess this holds true for commercial
Smalltalks too.

But these are imho questions to answer after developing the app.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net