[Newbies] Traits Example

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 01:37:16 UTC 2008

Hello,
Can anyone give me a simple Traits example?  I am trying to figure out if it
would be useful for me in the context of developing Aida applications.

In Aida, a WebApplication observes a domain model object.  Let's call it
WebAppModel.

Of course, you could subclass ANY object to create your WebAppModel, but I
still want it to know how to do certain things, like start and stop itself.

In other words, I might have one WebAppModel that subclasses Object, and
another that subclasses OrderedCollection, but I don't want to teach them
both how to start or stop each time I create a new one, and it seems less
elegant to subclass everything from a WebAppModel base class and then
include the actual objects they model as instance variables.

Does this make sense or am I missing some other fundamental concept, and is
this what Traits are for?

Thanks,

Rob Rothwell