[Newbies] Code Packaging Questions

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 22:18:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:33:55AM -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:
>    Can you package code with Monticello that needs a preamble and/or
>    postscript, or do you have to use a changeset for that?  Can you tell a
>    package what other packages it needs to load and in what order?
>    As an example, I was trying to take the ODBC changeset and modify it so it
>    doesn't replace the Timestamp class.  However, it loads System Dictionary
>    constants in a preamble, so I didn't know if you could put that in a
>    Monticello package or not.

Monticello runs the class-side initialize method of any new
class it loads. That is where things like service registration,
constant initialization, and other such one-time setup is done.
See MCReader class>>#initialize for an example; this sets up
MCReader as the drop-handler when .mcz files are dragged into
the image.