[Newbies] report / graph generator

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Mar 31 10:22:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:08:03AM +0200, Danny Chan wrote:
> Hi everybody!
> I am currently looking into using squeak for data analysis at work. At the moment, I mostly need to postprocess data files created by other programs and put graphs and overview tables into some kind of PDF report. Are there any existing solutions for such tasks?
> Later, I would like to move some of the code for data analysis from older C programs to Smalltalk. Is there a capable matrix/vector library, like numpy/scipy for python?

PlotMorph is very useful (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2626). In addition to
providing graphs in Squeak, I found out almost completely by accident that the
data points on a PlotMorph graph are "live". You can click on one, then explore
the objects that they refer to. This is quite useful if you have a large amount
of data with relationships that may not be obvious.

Dave