[Newbies] report / graph generator

Danny Chan chan_dhf at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 31 18:29:53 UTC 2008

If you work in a command line/ batch job friendly environment, I can
definitely recommend python with scipy and matplotlib. In my previous job I
used this combination for simulation work on Unix platforms, and most of the
times it was even faster than the dedicated Fortran programs written in the
company.

I am looking into squeak because I am now in a company where Windows is used
by most people (although Linux needs to be supported, too). Also it must be
possible to use the tools on any computer without much setup work. My python
scripts didn't work most of the time because of differences in the
interpreter version installed, differences in the environment variables,
sometimes even the different command line shells. Working with lots of
scripts on the command line was ok on Unix, but it is a pain on Windows.
Something like Smalltalk images would be handy here, and the development
environment is really nice.

I think I will try to wrap a few open source libraries like plplot and rlib,
maybe I can tackle larger problems once I have solutions for basic problems
like generating a good looking graph.

Smalltalk really could be a great environment for scientists and engineers.
The development tools are much better than what you get for Matlab for
example. It just seems that the libraries are missing. But since Python has a
lot of bindings to all kinds of scientific libraries (missing only the
development environment), it should be possible to have something like this
in Squeak/Smalltalk too.

It would be great to have something like ScientificSqueak just like Python has
scipy...

Danny