[Newbies] Re: Object <--> some string ObjectIdentity

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Fri May 2 17:14:58 UTC 2008

> "Ramon Leon" <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote
>
> >> I need to get some unique "identity" string for my objects,
> >> and subsequently
> >> to find that object from that string. How can I do this?
> >>
> >> Thanks - Sophie
> >
> > UUID new asString36
>
> In a Seaside app when do you find it useful to generate these
> for some of
> your domain objects? WA components?
>
> Sophie

I generate an id for my domain objects in initialize.  All my domain objects
answer to #id, see my SandstoneDb package on SqueakSource.  For
WAComponents, I don't bother, if I need an id for ajax purposes I use either
html nextId, or use my domain objects id with some prefix or postfix.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com