[Newbies] Linux locks up when handling large data sets

squeak414 at free.fr squeak414 at free.fr
Fri May 2 20:36:36 UTC 2008

Hi, I've been testing Squeak's ability to handle large amounts of data. This
snippet:

testArrayFilling
	| startTime endTime iArray jArray kArray |
	iArray := Array ofSize: 100.
	1
		to: 100
		do: [:i |
			jArray := Array ofSize: 1000.
			1
				to: 1000
				do: [:j |
					startTime := Time millisecondClockValue.
					kArray := Array ofSize: 1000.
					1
						to: 1000
						do: [:k | kArray at: k put: Object new].
					jArray at: j put: kArray.
					endTime := Time millisecondClockValue.
					Transcript cr; show: i asString , ',' , j asString , ' ' , (endTime -
startTime) asFloat asString.
					startTime := Time millisecondClockValue].
			iArray at: i put: jArray].
	Transcript cr; show: 'Finished'

creates about 5 million objects , then the image freezes. When I run on the same
machine under Windows, it happily continues until the short of memory warning (
about 70 Million objects in my case). The VM is 3.7 in both cases, the image
Damien's 3.9 development image.

There seem to be a number of Unix lockup issues. Is a later (or earlier) VM
likely to fix this please?

Thanks,   ...Stan