[Newbies] Best way to view many classes

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat May 3 13:29:22 UTC 2008

>>>>> "gruntfuttuck" == gruntfuttuck  <gruntfuttuck at gmail.com> writes:

gruntfuttuck> Hi,

gruntfuttuck> More than a few times now I have played around with squeak. I
gruntfuttuck> keep leaving and recently I have realized why: I find it easier
gruntfuttuck> to follow code with in files than with a code browser. I can
gruntfuttuck> scroll a file fast and even I have 10 files open I still find it
gruntfuttuck> easer.

Open a system browser.

If you want a file of a class, go to that class (second pane), and right-click
on "File out class".

If you want a file of an entire package, go to the package (first pane),
and right-click on "File out package".

The names might not be exactly that, but either of those will give you a
fairly readable flat-file that contains all the code of the package or class.

I actually find it far better to learn how the browser works, because the
organization helps me understand the intent of the authors.  I can also get to
any method of any class within a few clicks, instead of typing a lot of search
strings into a text editor and ignoring all the wrong hits.  I can also
quickly see all implementors of messages in a method so that I can understand
how they are designed, and all senders of messages so that I can see their
typical usage.  That helps me understand intent quite nicely.  If you learn
to use the tools, you might eventually agree.

But, there you have it... how to have your classes in flat files.