[Newbies] Mac OS X... proper installation?

Aaron Broad aaron.broad at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:40:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm new to smalltalk/squeak.  Trying to learn seaside.  I want to use
the web development image but i can't seem to get it to work.  I have
mac os x leopard on macbook pro.  I have tried the following each with
failure:

* I installed squeak via darwin ports but it just hangs if i try to
load the web image using the following
squeak -vm-display-Quartz sq3webdev.image

*I downloaded and installed the MacOSX universal app from squeak
homepage.  It will load the web dev image but has visual errors i'm
guessing from wrong version incompatibilities??  there are text
artifacts and errors throughout

So my question is how does everyone else install on mac os x.  I'm a
beginner at squeak but not computer science/unix/etc.   I'm looking to
install it the proper way and in a way where i can choose which image
gets loaded at the start, because  I started learning seaside with the
oneclick installer but i messed up that image to the point where it
crashes 5 seconds after loading.  Unfortunately this is halfway
through the todoapp tutorial, so i have to start it over when i do get
it working.

thanks,
Aaron