[Newbies] Collapsed window alwas goes to upper left

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat May 24 17:14:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 01:12:00PM +0200, Adrian Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> each time I save my image the collapsed monticello window bar goes to
> the upper left. How can I switch off this behaviour?
>
> I'd like move it somewhere and stay there. I remember it had this
> behaviour little time ago, but don't know why and how it changed.

There are two ways I know of:
1. You can move the collapsed window title bar anywhere you want
   to, after you collapse it, and the window will remember that
   position
2. There is a preference: windows > collapseWindowsInPlace which
   keeps collapsed windows where the big window was.

> I made this window "unclosable" which is what I want.
>
> I also selected "make next-to-topmost", I thought this would
> permanently put the monticello window over other windows that don't
> have this set. Am I right at this point? Does this maybe provoke the
> "moving automatically to upper left" behaviour?

Looking at the code for "make next-to-topmost", it switches the
active window to the next window, kinda like alt-tab. Pretty
useless for a menu item. It is not a setting, just a one-time
action. It should be removed, it seems. I made a bug report:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7064