[Newbies] Sound

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:33:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:29:22 +0930
<jeffery.billing at bigpond.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use the 'sound' widget.
> I get an error 'primitive has failed'
> Where do I go from here?
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and can use recording and play in 'Praat speech
> analyser' so my sound system is working in Ubuntu but can't get any
> sound in Squeak.
> The Movie Player also fails.
> I am using Squeak 3.9.

Under Ubuntu (and Linux), Squeak requires the sound plugin. This should be a file called vm-sound-ALSA (or vm-sound-OSS) and could be located in /usr/local/squeak/lib (from memory) or whereever you installed squeak.

Try running "squeak -vm-sound-ALSA" and see what is output. "squeak -help" will have more information.

Gulik.

--
Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>