[Newbies] Sound

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue May 27 00:38:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Jeffery Billing <
jeffery.billing at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi Gulik,
> Many thanks for prompt reply.
> Everything worked fine.
> I have attached details of my commands in the Terminal.
> As you will see the ALSA gave problems but the OSS worked perfectly.
> I am not sure how I install this plugin so that it is there when I open
> from my desktop icon. (Yes I am new to Ubuntu as well!!).

The ALSA error you found looks like an authentic bug. I don't see those XIO
errors on my machine; I wonder what they are.

If you right-click on the desktop icon for Squeak, you should be able to
find somewhere that you can type in the command; you should in theory be
able to append "-vm-sound-OSS" to that. I can't really help you much more
here; I use IceWM and run Squeak from an xterm because it's heaps faster.

You shouldn't need to use sudo to run Squeak.

Cheers,
Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg