[Newbies] formatting keyword messages

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Sun Nov 2 14:27:28 UTC 2008

I'm reading "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns". The pattern "Indented
Control Flow" recommends putting each keyword on a separated line,
indented with a tab. I like that for long messages, but this one
example annoys me.

	array
		at: 5
		put: #abc

Earlier the author explains the how conserving vertical space
increases readability. This example contradicts that advice.
Also, it just seem so verbose compared to the Java equivalent of
"array[5] = "abc";".

Do experienced Smalltalkers really like this formatting for short
messages like at:put: or is the following preferred?

	array at:5 put: #abc

---
Mark Volkmann