[Newbies] Re: Squeak patching

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 22:37:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 02:26:09PM -0500, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
> How do folks propose small changes or fixes for Smalltalk these days?
> I'm still very much entrenched in the diff/patch world of CVS and
> similar systems.  I'm used to looking at diffs to understand changes,
> and I like to read them directly in e-mail, not have to dive into the
> programming environment / IDE / emacs or whatever and then perform
> multiple operations just to then view the change inside the the IDE,
> no matter how much more powerful the IDE presentation of the change
> might be.

One of two ways usually. The first, and somewhat prefered way,
is to use the mantis bug tracker, and upload .cs files as
patches.

http://bugs.squeak.org

The second way, preferered by a few less well managed projects
(like everything I do), is to just fix a patch in squeak and
commit it straight to the monticello repo.

Everything that the 3.11 team is doing (ie, me and keith hodges)
works the second way. We make all the repositories globally
writable, and let anybody commit, and mark which version is
stable in the load script. We also use a somewhat new feature of
SqueakSource to review all Monticello commits via email:

> I am looking forward to learning to use Monticello to see if it really
> does do the kinds of things I think it should do for full SCM within
> Squeak.

If you find it does not, tell me, and I'll fix it. I'm the main
Monticello developer. Use mantis, or email the release list or
the packages list. I'm planning to service all outstanding bug
reports before the next release, Monticello 1.6, which is
nearly ready.