[Newbies] Re: exception handling lingo

Nicolas Cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed Oct 1 06:57:55 UTC 2008

Mark Volkmann <mark <at> ociweb.com> writes:

> On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:34 PM, nicolas cellier wrote:
>

> Thanks! I think I understand all you said except for two things.
>
> 1) The ifCurtailed method. From just looking at the comment in the
> method and the code, I have no idea what it does.

(execBlock ensure: finiBlock) will execute finiBlock whether an Exception occur
or not while executing execBlock. One typical use in image is to close files.

(execBlock ifCurtailed: finiBlock) will execute finiBlock only if an Exception
occur. Usage is rare.

> 2) The reject method. Which class are you referring to? The ones I see
> that contain that method don't seem related to exception handling.

Sorry, forget it, I'm just mixing the dialects!
Exception>>#reject was a synonym for #pass in early VW pre-ANSI implementation.
I find reject quite expressive though: either I handle the exception or reject
it. If I reject it, the Exception is passed to an upper level (in the call
stack) handling.
I see #pass more as a consequence of my decision to #reject the Exception.
But that's surely an effect of age: old progammers don't like their framework to
change ;).

> ---
> Mark Volkmann

And of course, please ask your questions, you are welcome.
The idea of quota was just a joke addressed to this community for not answering
promptly.