[Newbies] capturing output in memory

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Oct 1 22:53:15 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Volkmann <mark at ociweb.com> writes:

Mark> For the purpose of writing unit tests for code that writes to a stream I
Mark> want to use something other than a FileStream that will allow me to
Mark> write to it just like FileStream, but will just hold the data in
Mark> memory. When I'm finished writing, I want to retrieve everything I've
Mark> written as a single String. Is there a class that does that?

myStream = WriteStream new.
" use myStream as if it were a FileStream "
myString := myStream contents.

That's the nice part about the various protocol families.  It mostly just
works.