[Newbies] Porting an old app to a recent image

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Oct 9 23:32:40 UTC 2008

At Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:37:39 +0200,
Matthias Korn wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
> Hi,
>
> I already tried to fileIn a minimal part (one Morph class) of the
> application I want to port and started resolving the errors in the
> debugger one by one. Still, now I am stuck with the following error:
> Metaclass(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #category
> (the full Stack Trace is attached)
>
> Were there some changes in the Metaclass between V2 and V3 that explain
> this error?
>
> Thanks for the hint, though Karl. I didn't know about that possibility.

  This apparently happens after some syntax error already happened.

  So the method being compiled has an issue.  Then the question is to
find out which method.  In the debugger that produced the stack trace,
visit somewhere at the bottom and see the content of aStream variable
for Compiler>>translate:noPattern:ifFail:.  The method should have
some problem.

  But it could be a subtle one...  You could also define #category
method at Metaclass that simply returns nil and then try to file in, I
think.

-- Yoshiki