[Newbies] How to create new exception

Alex Chi alex_chi99 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 19:31:18 UTC 2008

Thanks a lot for all the information.
1 more question, after create a new exception class then to use it let's say I have to define something like:
Then use it:

[SpontaneousCombustionException signal]
    on: SpontaneousCombustionException
    do: [:ex | Transcript show: 'Explosion detected'; cr]

My question is where do I write this code? Is it in one of my method for example I create spontaneousCombustionSignal method, and I write this code there?

Alex> Can you give me an example on how to create new exception and call/use
Alex> that exception in my program? I try to googling but don't seem to find
Alex> one. Thanks.
------------------------------

Message: 4
Can you give me an example on how to create new exception and call/use
that exception in my program? I try to googling but don't seem to find
one. Thanks.

Create an exception class:

Exception subclass: #SpontaneousCombustionException
    instanceVariableNames: ''
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'Heat'.

Then use it:

[SpontaneousCombustionException signal]
    on: SpontaneousCombustionException
    do: [:ex | Transcript show: 'Explosion detected'; cr]

See if this helps.

  http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/digest?content=2001-files-exceptions

It's a bit dated but it might give you the information you need.
Even uses #on:do: like the ANSI standard suggests.