[Newbies] Problem filing out change set

Chris Kermiet k1 at indra.com
Wed Oct 15 06:23:25 UTC 2008

Hi, Folks --
    I'm new to this list. I'm learning squeak by by creating some artsy
objects which create designs according to mathematical algorithms (based
on Schillinger's Mathematical Basis of the Arts).  It seemed like a good
idea to add the constant Phi to the Float class to keep from
recalculating it. (Phi is the Golden Ratio -- the limit ratio of the
Fibonacci series.)

    Now, when I try to file out my change set, I get the error message:

/"An instance variable was added to class Float and it is not copied in
the method veryDeepCopyWith:
Please rewrite it to handle all instance variables.
See DeepCopier class comment."/

When I look at the DeepCopier class comment, I have no clue what I'm
supposed to do. Does this new instance variable need to be copied
somewhere? When the class Float was recompiled, shouldn't that have
added the new class variable to the appropriate dictionary? The instance
variable is referenced from the class side:

phi
    "Answer the constant, Phi."
    ^ Phi

in exactly the same way as pi or any of the other constants initialized
in the Float class. Does it need to be copied somewhere else?

In addition, this error message seems unnecessarily vague. Please
rewrite "it" -- what does "it" refer to? The instance variable (phi),
the Float class, the veryDeepCopyWith: method? Or the class variable
(Phi)? When I look carefully at all of these, none of them look like
they should need rewriting.

Unless I should do (just a guess):

    Float veryDeepCopyWith: phi

in a workspace. But I'd like to know why before I try it. Anyone have
any ideas on this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--Chris Kermiet