[Newbies] Can Squeak display chinese?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Oct 23 22:30:16 UTC 2008

At Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:49:08 +0800,
Simon Chan wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
>
> [1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Hi all, I am a total beginner, just started few days.
>
> I just found smalltalk has the nicest development environment I have even seen,
> especially the image persistent.
>
> Persistent has always been a problem to me, I always wanted to create some personal applications,
> but persistent problem has always stop me, I just hate using relational database, creating sequences,
> dropping and adding fields, during the development it's a very painful experience.
>
> The only problem I am having is that it cannot display chinese characters, I really want to develop something simple
> wihout rdb.
>
> How do I make Squeak displaying chinese characters, all chinese characters are shown as ?
>
> Can anyone help me, thx a lot!

http://code.google.com/p/chinesesqueak/

would be a good start.  For other images, download
uSimplifiedChineseFont.out from:

http://code.google.com/p/chinesesqueak/source/browse/branches/3.8/src/uSimplifiedChineseFont.out?r=38

and evaluate:

StrikeFontSet installExternalFontFileName6: 'uSimplifiedChineseFont.out' encoding: SimplifiedChineseEnvironment leadingChar encodingName: #SimplifiedChinese textStyleName: #DefaultMultiStyle.

(which is in the comment of StrikeFontSet
class>>installExternalFontFileName6:encoding:encodingName:textStyleName:)

then do some more tricks (depending on your image version) and it
should do something.

-- Yoshiki