[Newbies] RE: following inheritance in Browser

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Wed Oct 29 10:49:45 UTC 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 12:17 AM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> [Newbies] following inheritance in Browser
>
> ***
>> Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
>> Wed Oct 29 01:30:25 UTC 2008
>>

>> When I'm browsing a class and want to examine details of its
>> superclass, I highlight the superclass name and press ctrl-b to view
>> it in a new Browser. Is there a way to make it browse the superclass
>> in the same Browser instead of opening a new one?
>>
> I can't speak for the omnibrowser. I don't use it.
> The regular browser has a "inheritance" button on the menu bar.
> It brings up a hierarchical browser.
> The inheritance chain is in the class list.
>
> The other useful thing for seeing the hierarchy
> is to press the ? button up to three times.
> That button is between the instance and class button in the class
> pane.
> The ? button cycles thru the class comment, class definition,
> and a rather useful display of the hierarchy.
> It lists the ivars that come with each class.
>
> Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace
>
> PS. If we ever collect the answers to all your questions
> I think 80% of our documentation chores will be accomplished.
> Keep up the good work.

Thanks Jerome! I'm definitely putting in the effort to learn this
stuff well. I'm also documenting what I've learned. See http://www.ociweb.com/mark/programming/Smalltalk.html
. I'm constantly adding to this and trying to improve it.

I just got a copy of "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns" yesterday and
I'm diving in!

---
Mark Volkmann