[Newbies] scripts

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Fri Sep 26 13:49:47 UTC 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> And the longer still answer (now that I've noticed "access to stdin
> and
> stdout") is to use an image with OSProcess loaded, and then you can
> get access as follows:
>
>  me := ThisOSProcess thisOSProcess.
>  stdin := me stdIn. "acts like a Stream"
>  stdout := me stdOut.
>  stderr := me stdErr.
>  stderr print: Time now; cr. "put the time of day on my stderr output"

Thanks for the example code! Now I think all I need is to find out how
to launch the code from a terminal window. At http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1914
  I found this.

"To initiate external shell processing, evaluate
''ExternalCommandShell stop'', save the image, and restart with
''squeak -headless myImage''."

It's not clear to me what will be run when that last command is
executed from a terminal window. Where would I put code like your
example code above and how does the squeak command know to execute it?

---
Mark Volkmann