[Newbies] scripts

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:51:30 UTC 2008

On Friday 26 Sep 2008 5:42:48 pm Mark Volkmann wrote:
> Is it possible to run a Squeak program from a terminal window and have
> access to the stdin and stdout streams from the Smalltalk code? If so,
> pointers to documentation on this would be much appreciated.
Others have answered how you can do this, but please do take a step back and
explain what you are trying do to get a more appropriate response.

Unix systems use a pipeline architecture ( a | b | c ) to do complex
processing on data streams using simpler filter apps. Squeak is not a filter.
It is a virtual machine that runs a whole environment of communicating
objects. If the stream processing needs are complex, then run squeak as a
headless daemon listening on a socket and use filters like netcat to handle
traffic between file streams and socket streams. Or you could use named pipes
and do traditional file i/o in Smalltalk. But be aware that you are mixing
two different architectures here.

I suppose you can make Squeak do whatever you want. It is all a simple matter
of programming (SMOP) :-).

HTH .. Subbu