[Newbies] Re: code formatter

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 28 02:56:24 UTC 2008

[Newbies] code formatter

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Sat Sep 27 00:18:00 UTC 2008

Hi Mark,

Use case:

In a fresh sq7159
world menu>open>class browser

select a method
 (I used KernelTests-Methods
	>MethodPropertiesTest
		>testAllMethodsHaveMethodClass )
to the right of the 'class vars' button there is a button that usually says 'source' .
Press that and you get a menu.
Select 'pretty print'

The button will now read 'pretty print' and the methods will be displayed that way.
When I do this I usually go full hog an ask for color print which highlights the different parts of squeak.
The color scheme is different than shouts but it is very helpful in groking code.

On Sep 26, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hmm...I just switched to a SystemBrowser in a pharo dev image,
> highlighted the code in a method, right clicked, selected "more...",
> and pretty print, and it rearranged my code...
>
> What image are you using?

I just repeated the steps you listed and it still didnt' work. I'm
using Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic on a Mac.

> Rob
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Mark Volkmann <mark at ociweb.com>
> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:
>
>> Try right-clicking on the method name (in the method pane of the
>> browser) and selecting "pretty print" (at least in the
>> Omnibrowser)...
>
> Pretty print isn't in that menu when using System Browser. Maybe I
> should switch to OmniBrowser. I haven't tried that yet.
>
> Is it really possible that System Browser can't format code?

Ha.  Squeak knows how to do more things than you or I know how to ask it.

My working assumpt.