[Newbies] Base64 conversion for images

Matthias Korn matthias.korn at uni-siegen.de
Tue Sep 30 13:53:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

I want to transfer thumbnails as one part of some more structured data
via XML. I thought about embedding the thumbs encoded in Base64
directly into the XML file rather than transferring them separately.

How can I decode the string from within the XML file to use and display
the thumbs in Squeak (they are either gif, jpg or png). I had a look at
Base64MimeConverter but couldn't quite figure it out

Another use case is converting thumbs on my hard drive to a Base64
string (i.e. encoding...). From a FileStream..?

I guess Base64MimeConverter is the right thing. Is there some
documentation on how to use it?

Thanks,
matsch