[Newbies] Level Playing Field image compression side effect

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 15:28:48 UTC 2008

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Sorry for bringing this up again, but nothing works so well for
> getting an image back down to size after installing additional
> packages (especially big ones, like Aida or Magma) like running LPF.
>  The fixObsoleteReferences does nothing...any other ideas?  Whatever
> it is is present in the pharo script as well, and does something in a
> way that doing a garbage collect after the end of the script
> immediately shrinks the image--in this case from 50Mb to 25Mb!
>
> Take care,
>
> Rob
LPF is running SmalltalkImage current cleanUpAll.

We recently started a convention that all classes that can free up some
memory prior to saving an image implement #freeSomeSpace, or #cleanUp.

One of the biggest offenders is Monticello, it caches quite a lot of
stuff when loading packages. There is a menu item for cleaning
Monticello caches manually.

regards

Keith