[Newbies] Setting up squeak on Ubuntu

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 9 07:44:06 UTC 2009

On 09.04.2009, at 06:40, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Thursday 09 April 2009 8:39:42 am Jerome Peace wrote:
>> Its not obvious where things will be stored when saved. So far text
>> from
>> saved workspaces turn up as files in the directories of the
>> original image
>> not the links.
> Unix Squeak saves files in $SQUEAK_USERDIR.

Only Etoys does that. It's the only image that has the
startInUntrustedDirectory preference set, AFAIK. All other images
default to the image directory.

> It defaults to the folder "My Squeak/" (ugh!) in the image folder.

"My Squeak" used to be the directory name for etoys projects. Nobody
bothered to change the default yet, because it is not used anyway
(etoys is always launched by a script).

- Bert -