[Newbies] Confirmation when saving, from Setting up squeak on Ubuntu thread

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 01:57:06 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 4/9/09, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Newbies] Setting up squeak on Ubuntu
> To: beginners at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 12:40 AM
> On Thursday 09 April 2009 8:39:42 am Jerome Peace wrote:
> > Its not obvious where things will be stored when
> saved. So far text from
> > saved workspaces turn up as files in the directories
> of the original image
> > not the links.
> Unix Squeak saves files in $SQUEAK_USERDIR. It defaults to
> the folder "My
> Squeak/" (ugh!) in the image folder.
>
> In the launcher change the command to:
>   SQUEAK_USERDIR=/save/files/here squeak /path/to/image
>
> > It seems to me when squeak saves something it should
> at least report back
> > what it saved where.
> You can get this path in Squeak using "FileDirectory
> default".

Thanks that's useful to know.

That is not the same thing as what I was asking for. When squeak saves a file, the user deserves to have at minimum the name the file was saved under including tacked on version numbers and prefixes. And the name of the directory it is saved in. An unambiguous name.

Given enough knowledge I can go after squeak to get this info. But that is not the point. Squeak is silent about these things when it saves stuff. So if I have asked it to make a mistake I will never know until its much much later. Not really acceptable. It should just tell me by way of confirmation. Then if I goofed, I have a chance to correct it before too much follow on mischief.

The most often encountered slip is to save a change set or a project in a new directory or a directory from which all other change sets of the same name have been removed. You get a Changeset.1.cs which you probably already have somewhere. This is not what you want but how do you know that's what you got?

This is a desired user story. I would like to see squeak work that way. I believe its worth working for.