[Newbies] purge of graphics objects

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Apr 28 17:12:15 UTC 2009

  (I've added etoys@ to the To: list....)

At Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:26:33 +0200,
antonio wrote:

> Thanks a lot all,
>
> Yes, an etoys image version.
> Yes, I mean about the size of the pr (I have an "space is low" error now).
> The (only?) trash is empty and the objects I want to destroy don't appear listed with:
> "Imports default viewImages" neither "ScriptingSystem inspectFormDictionary" (I knew them),
> but I'm not sure about references, I haven't  here the project,  of course it could be the reason. I will look for it.
> But some questions:
> I thought both dictionarys live inside the image file; any project can use it anyway really?
> Yoshiki, how much technical and laborious is that method (if I do not get the purge anyway)? Is it a very exceptional
> situation? I mean the problem with this pr is really unusual?
>
> thanks a lot!
>
> El mar, 28-04-2009 a las 08:44 -0700, Yoshiki Ohshima escribió:
>
>     At Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:51:25 +0200,
>     antonio wrote:
>     >
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > Sometimes the size of a project does not reduce after the deletion of a graphic object.
>     > How can I purge definitively the space of this object?
>
>       Are you using the Etoys image or some other images?  And you are
>     concerned about the resulting .pr file size, right?
>
>       In a fairly recent Etoys image, if there is no reference to the
>     object (via scripts or variables), it should usually work fine.  The
>     definitive way is a bit technical and laborious...
>
>     -- Yoshiki

  It is not that unusual unfortunately.  And, here is an abbreviated
steps to take:

  - Turn off eToyFriendly preference.
  - open a workspace from the world menu.
  - Say, if you know the class of the graphical object, type:

    TheClassName allInstances

    and press Cmd-i to get the inspector.

  - Look toward the end of list (perhaps), and find one instance you
    think it should be reclaimed already.
  - Select the instance, and from the context-menu, and select perhaps
    "explore pointers" (or my favorite is "objects pointing to this
    value" as it is "leaner").
  - In the pointer explorer which shows the objects pointing to the
    graphical object, or the inspector, repeat the cycle to understand
    the graph of objects around it, and think which other object(s)
    is/are the root of cause.

-- Yoshiki