[Newbies] Expected menu items not there

Tim Rowe digitig at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 15:53:36 UTC 2009

2009/12/15 Alex Schenkman <alex at schenkman.info>:
> I'm sorry Tim, but I don't understand your question.
> Could you rephrase it please?

Ok. I'm a complete newcomer to Squeak, and indeed to Smalltalk,
although I am an experienced programmer, having worked by way through
FORTRAN, Pascal, C, C++, C#, Ada an Python in my time.

I'm trying to learn Squeak on Windows XP, working my way through
Squeak By Example (http://squeakbyexample.org//SBE.pdf)

A fairly early exercise is to open a workspace window and a transcript
window, and, in the workspace window, to type
   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
Then highlight it, yellow-click on it (right-click on my system), and
select "do it (d)".

That worked fine.

However, after doing some of the further exercises in the book I'm
again asked to select some text in the workspace window and select "do
it (d)". Now, though, the "do it (d)" menu option doesn't appear when
I yellow (right) click, just the options I showed in my original
posting. In case it was something to do with what I had in the
workspace window, I went back to the original excercise that had
previously worked. I typed
   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
Then highlighted it, yellow-clicked on it (right-click on my system),
and sure enough, "do it (d)" no longer appeared on that menu either. I
no longer seem to be able to execute anything at all from a workspace
window (which seems rather limiting, to say the least!)

--
Tim Rowe