[Newbies] Expected menu items not there

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Dec 15 15:59:10 UTC 2009

On 15.12.2009, at 16:53, Tim Rowe wrote:

> 2009/12/15 Alex Schenkman <alex at schenkman.info>:
>> I'm sorry Tim, but I don't understand your question.
>> Could you rephrase it please?
>
> Ok. I'm a complete newcomer to Squeak, and indeed to Smalltalk,
> although I am an experienced programmer, having worked by way through
> FORTRAN, Pascal, C, C++, C#, Ada an Python in my time.
>
> I'm trying to learn Squeak on Windows XP, working my way through
> Squeak By Example (http://squeakbyexample.org//SBE.pdf)
>
> A fairly early exercise is to open a workspace window and a transcript
> window, and, in the workspace window, to type
>   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
> Then highlight it, yellow-click on it (right-click on my system), and
> select "do it (d)".
>
> That worked fine.
>
> However, after doing some of the further exercises in the book I'm
> again asked to select some text in the workspace window and select "do
> it (d)". Now, though, the "do it (d)" menu option doesn't appear when
> I yellow (right) click, just the options I showed in my original
> posting. In case it was something to do with what I had in the
> workspace window, I went back to the original excercise that had
> previously worked. I typed
>   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
> Then highlighted it, yellow-clicked on it (right-click on my system),
> and sure enough, "do it (d)" no longer appeared on that menu either. I
> no longer seem to be able to execute anything at all from a workspace
> window (which seems rather limiting, to say the least!)

Indeed. Does the usual shortcut still work (Cmd-p on Mac, Alt-p on PCs)?

The menu isn't really used in daily work, just at the very beginning.

If all else fails (and noviceMode is not to blame), please download a fresh version. The changes you make in an image are permanent, which is powerful and dangerous at the same time.

- Bert -