[Newbies] FW: Bitmap-Arrays too large for "contents"

Hans Gruber rukin at web.de
Wed Dec 23 02:03:55 UTC 2009

 > Hi Squeak-Fans!
 >
 > I am new in programming squeak an I have the following problem:
 >
 > I want to integrate bitmap-arrays in my project for the images used in it. To get the elements for my bit-map array I used:
 >
 > | image stream |
 > image := ColorForm fromFileNamed:
 > '/path/to/picture/icon.gif'.
 > stream := WriteStream with: String new.
 > image storeOn: stream.
 > stream contents.
 >
 > By inspecting contents I can copy & paste its elements to the corresponding methods for the image. The Problem now is, that some of my images generate more bitmap-code elements than "contents" can display. Do you have an Idea how may copy&paste all the elements of the Stream!? I tried Seaside WAFileLibrary and pasted the generated methods, but WAFileLibrary returns byte-arrays, which can't be interpretet within the squeak form of *Morph.
 >
 > So does anybody of you have an Idea and may help me?
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Regards.
 >

 >Your last line could become
 >
 >	Clipboard clipboardText: stream contents
 >
 >However, the canonical way would be to simply generate the method rather than doing it manually. Generating a method can be as simple as
 >
 >	MyClass compile: 'myMethod ^42'
 >
 >See, for example, MenuIcons>>importIconNamed:.
 >
 >- Bert -

 Hi Bert & Squeak Community,
 thanks for your cool tip. I'll try to generate the methods via "class compile".
 I've tested it and a new problem came up. I did it the same way MenuIcons>>importIconNamed is implemented.
 The problem now is, that there comes up a error message ("MessageNotUnterstood(Metaclass)>>category") although I've inserted classfied : 'generated methods' and the category is already created and exists.

 Here the code snippet:

 generateMethodsForJPG: aString
 | writer image stream |
 	writer := JPEGReadWriter on: (FileStream fileNamed: aString, '.jpg').
 	[ image := writer nextImage]
 		ensure: [writer close].
 	stream := ReadWriteStream on: (String new).
 	stream nextPutAll: aString ; cr.
 	stream nextPutAll: (self methodStart: aString).
 	image storeOn: stream.
 	stream nextPutAll: self methodEnd.
 	MyGraphicLibrary class compile: stream contents classified: 'generated methods' notifying: nil.
 	^ stream contents

 MyGraphicLibrary is a subclass of Object.
 The error comes up at "compile:[...]". Everything before that works fine. Form is created etc. Simply the compilation does not work.

 Do you have an Idea what the problem could be here ?

 Thanks for your help!