[Newbies] Can I implement it with squeak?

Agnese Dal Borgo agnesedalborgo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:24:25 UTC 2009

Hi,
I have a project similar to Stefanie's. I tried Etoys that is very simple to
use and funny, but as far as I know it doesn't have 3D features.

I think Croquet and Cobalt are still difficult to use if you are not a
developer.
I've tried Plopp as well, but you can only draw with it, I think.

I've found and tried to use Alice-Wonderland that has bugs but I think it's
very nice and easy to use. I couldn't find it in the 3.9 version, though.
Has the project been abandoned? Or is there a library I can download for
squeak 3.9? Where can I find it?

Can someone tell me how can I create 3D characters and make them animate
using squeak?
Thanks a lot
Agnese

2009/2/8 Filip Malczak <filet00 at gmail.com>

> I'd say yes. Just read 'bout Croquet and Cobalt:
> http://www.opencroquet.org/
> http://www.duke.edu/~julian/Cobalt/Home.html<http://www.duke.edu/%7Ejulian/Cobalt/Home.html>
> Im almost 100% sure that they are written in Squeak, or at least in
> Smalltalk. I cant really remember, but I know that there is a library for 3d
> graphics, and interaction is just question od coding 3d animations linked
> with user actions.
>
> 2009/2/8 Yahoo <zstefania at yahoo.gr>
>
> Hello,
>> I have just started exploring the squeak because I want to implement a
>> specific application (see below)
>> but I am not 100% sure if I can do it with squeak although it seems very
>> potential! Let me explain the project I have in my mind.
>>
>> I want to design an educational game where in the virtual learning
>> environment
>> an animated character (tutor) will teach and interact with the learner (I
>> will design an educational scenario with specific leanring goals).
>> I want my tutor (animated persona)  be expressive and vivid (need 3d
>> graphic routines) and the most important is that I want my tutor to be able
>> to interact with the learner.
>> For example if the tutor diagnoses low engagement it will have a proper
>> feedback.
>>
>> My question is if this implementation is possible with squeakt. I don't a
>> need simply an animation software to built a character
>> but I want my animated persona to interact with the learner
>> (character-human interaction) and all this stuff should be work real
>> time....
>> So my questions can be summurized as: Can I build an animated character
>> that will be able to interact with the user in real time?
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Stefanie
>>

> --
> Pozdrawiam: