[Newbies] Re:Problem encountered when reading help files

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 20:47:42 UTC 2009

[Newbies] Problem encountered when reading help files

Hi Jerry,
You have found a bug. One way or another.
The best thing to do is to plant a report on mantis.
Then to increase attention, write the mailing list and
refer to the mantis report.

Here are the faq's

FAQ: Is this a known issue ? Where is the place to report bugs (or check if
some have already been raised) ?

The best place for this info would be to start a
Mantis report. (You can get a mantis acct freely and
easily).

A good place to start is:

http://bugs.squeak.org/my_view_page.php

Mantis provides a patient persistent way to focus on an issue.
I use it to accumulate data on a problem until a solution can be found.
It provides a place to alert the community to a problem;
-accumulate facts and clues from the analysis;
-publish preposed solutions and get feedback;
-get solutions harvested and included into the main stream.

This FAQ is available at the Squeak wiki site.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Mantis%20FAQ%20and%20Tips
aka:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5912
Mantis FAQ and Tips

***
>Jerry Henderson jerry.henderson at verizon.net
>Thu Feb 19 06:30:37 UTC 2009
>

>SequenceableCollection>>last answers the last element of the receiver,
>and is implemented as:
>        ^ self at: self size.
>
>It is an index error, when size is 0.
>
>I assume this is a design choice, rather than a bug; but I'm too new to
>know. Anyway, in 3.10.2, when I tried the menu path
>"World::Help::Preferences::Help!", it threw the exception, apparently
>because of an empty aHelpString. So I guess either
>Preferences>>giveHelpWithPreferences should be checking for empty
>stings, or the source data (the help strings) are improperly formatted.
>I didn't know what else to do with my new found knowledge, so here I am.
>
>--
>Jerry

***