[Newbies] Accessors for everything?

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:38:23 UTC 2009

I've seen both.

I try to avoid creating accessors and only add them as I need. I try to
create methods based on the responsibilities of the object and not around
its data structure.

But, I've worked on projects where every object had accessors for every
variable (often necessitated by the persistence framework). You have to
trust the programmers not to abuse them as a simple data structure.

Kent Beck's Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns describes the forces behind
each approach.

Another reason to use accessors is lazy initialization.