[Newbies] How does one import code from VW? and 3d...

Cameron Sanders csanders.personal at functional-analyst.com
Thu Jan 8 17:06:25 UTC 2009

I just discovered Squeak this last fall and I am quite impressed. Although I
had deemed the system "too unstable" until I discovered the Pharo base
image. Previous attempts to install the full, or various components of,
squeak-dev led to myriad debugger sessions, which, right out of the box is
not very attractive.

Now I have a rich, stable and visually appealing Squeak development
environment. The first question that comes to mind is this: how can I most
easily import code I wrote in Cincom's VW NC environment? (It ejects it in
xml.)

Additional questions:
I would like to do some 3d visualization; should I pursue Croquet, Balloon,
or other? Actually, long-term I might like the Croquet collaborative-tools,
however, to begin with, I just need some visualization capabilities. An
import of Balloon3d choked, so I pulled it in via Monticello - but it
appears to be unusable in my image. Are the special libs I need? And if I
start with Croquet, then I lose the comfortable feeling and stability of
Pharo - or is it possible to pull in just the graphics components of
croquet? Any guidance is appreciated, as I am just getting my feet wet here.

How many processes should I see running? [e.g. 3 plus 1 per window?]

Thanks in advance!
Cam