[Newbies] How does one import code from VW? and 3d...

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 21:52:14 UTC 2009

> I have used vi to edit the output file (from VW, after downloading FileOut30
> and setting Squeak as the output type in settings) to replace package
> references ("#{xxx.yyy.someclass}") with simply the someclass reference and

I would try to first fix all things listed in "Making Code Portable"
within VW using the built in refactoring tools.

> other similar notations, I have defined a CamLoader class to intercept the
> #defineClass:superclass:indexedType:private:instanceVariableNames:classInsta
> nceVariableNames:imports:category: message and map it to the basic <class>
> #subclass:instanceVariableNames:classVariableNames:poolDictionaries:category

The last time I tried the VW exporter it properly created the Squeak
class creation methods.

> : messages... but it seems like every time I knock off a few gotchas, more
> turn up. (I manually created my package and category names to avoid dealing
> with those.) But I just keep finding myself in the debugger...

That's fine, you can fix the few remaining issues while filing-in in Squeak.

> There must be an easier way. Or perhaps I simply need to know to choose an
> older version of FileOut30?

I don't think that there is an easier way and I don't know about
different versions of FileOut30.

I don't want to discourage you, but loading the code in Squeak is
usually the simplest part of porting. In my experience it is much
harder to find all the subtly broken methods and rewrite and fix code
that uses platform specific classes and methods.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli