[Newbies] Morph import corrupted

Mark Carter mcturra2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 12:57:55 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----
> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>

>> I'm new to smalltalk and squeak - and I must say, it seems capable of doing some pretty amazing stuff.

> It is. Welcome :)

Whilst scanning through the web, I saw a screenshot where some guy was playing with sound waves, and stuff was hooked up together ... in Squeak. I was impressed. One can imagine that smalltalk has potential to exceed much of what has been accomplished using current windowing environments. And yet, and yet.

> It seems as if you played with Etoys, which is an authoring environment aimed at
> elementary-school children written on top of Smalltalk.

Oh! Did I? OK. I'd rather stay away from the kid stuff, and do things the bigboy way.

> I just redid your example in that image using a Playfield as holder for two
> buttons and a string.

Thanks ... but alas, I couldn't successfully load it into my image :( Then some "other things happened", and now Squeak is acting all peculiar.

Is it rare for people to create morphs anyway, or is it something that people like doing all the time?

One thing that's puzzling me somewhat is that if I take something like a RectangleMorph, it has both a class definition, and a widget that I can drag onto my desktop. If I create my own morph graphically, then it has no class definition associated with it. I'm confused: if I set out to define a class, then how comes I don't have to specify the sub-components programmatically, and conversely, if I create my own morph visually, then how does it get a class?

I have looked around for tutorials on creating morphs, but I don't seem to find any simple examples where it says "look, this is the proper way you design UI elements".