[Newbies] [DOCS][Q] How to certify authorship for contributions to the Squeak Swiki? [Was: Re: User account for squeak wiki.squeak.org]

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 05:53:47 UTC 2009

Currently, according to the Squeak Swiki entry for "Squeak
Documentation Team" [1] (see http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808),
editing the Swiki is protected by a very simple common password
protection scheme, as follows:

>The Swiki is password-protected to discourage vandalism.
>
>    * Username: squeak
>    * Password: viewpoints

Unfortunately, when a user clicks the "history" link at the top of an
Swiki page, the user obtains a list of changes with the users listed
by IP address/DNS entry, for example, as follows:

>chfwpr03.ch.intel.com

However, this does not allow a unique identifier to be associated with
a user if the user logs in from multiple IP addresses/DNS entries. For
example, I have a Macintosh at home and a Wintel machine at work, and
I wish to associate a unique identifier to updates that I make from
both machines.

This would allow me to certify authorship for any articles that I
write, providing additional motivation to write more entries.

Is there any way to associate a unique user identifier, listed in the
page that is generated when the "history" button at the top of an
Swiki entry is clicked, to all edits that I make to the Swiki?  If
not, are there any plans for this in the future?

(Otherwise, for example, it is not clear how to attribute changes
conveniently for universal edits; in particular, it is not clear how
to attribute changes conveniently for inline edits in large blocks of
text, where there is no convenient surrounding text to place a
username; or for minor but significant punctuational changes, such as
substituting a semicolon for a comma, where the space occupied by a
manually inserted entry claiming authorship would significantly exceed
the space occupied by the change itself--a rather inelegant solution;
there should be a way to claim credit for Swiki contributions.)

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] Fulmer, Matthew, Aaron Reichow, Andrew Lawson, and Max OrHai.
"Squeak Documentation Team." _Squeak Swiki._ Squeak.org. 8 June 2007.
17 July 2009. <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808>.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:17:19 -0600, Miguel Enrique Coba Martinez
<m.coba.m at gmail.com> wrote:

>I am trying to edit a page but I can't find the place to
>create a user account.
>
>When I click the edit button in some page from the wiki,
>Iceweasel (Debian's unbranded Firefox) ask for a username and a password.
>
>When I click the history button, I get a list of changes and in the
>user column I see strings like:
>
>ACCF7AF4.ipt.aol.com
>
>so this makes me think that the edition of pages it is open and your
>IP address is used as your username.
>But, the problem is, I can't pass the user/password request.
>
>The user/password dialog says:
>
>http://wiki.squeak.org solicita un usuario y contrasena. El sitio dice:
>"/squeak/*"
>
>Something like:
>
>http://wiki.squeak.org needs a username and password. The site says:
>"/squeak/*"
>
>And if I click the cancel button it responds with:
>
>Unauthorized for: /squeak/*
>
>Can you please tell me what is the process to edit a page in the
>wiki.squeak.org?
>
>Thanks,
>Miguel Coba
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/