[Newbies] Re: [DOCS][Q] How to certify authorship for contributions to the Squeak Swiki? [Was: Re: User account for squeak wiki.squeak.org]

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Tue Jul 21 06:06:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:12:56 -0500, David Mitchell
<david.mitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
>
>As to a unique identifier. The right unique identifier on a wiki is a
>page. The approach from Ward's original WikiWikiWeb (where much of the
>original Squeak wiki content was hosted before we had a wiki server).
>Create a page for yourself and then add a link to pages you edit.
>
>For example, my page is:
>http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/17
>
>If you go to that page, you can see the pages I've signed.
>
>If you go to those pages, you can see a link to my page.

Mutual links would work for most cases.  It wouldn't necessarily work
for multiple one-character typo corrections, though (such as changing
the position of a comma in a sentence), since then the space occupied
by the correction would be exceeded by the space occupied by the
crediting.

For example, suppose there were a hypothetical page "Foo" at the
hypothetical address of http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/9999 with the
following hypothetical sentence:

     See foos comprising bars comprising bazs. -- J. Random Hacker

At first, thinking that foos comprised bars, which comprised bazs,
Fred Foobar edited it as follows, and adds a comment about the edit
inline:

     See foos, comprising bars comprising bazs. -- J. Random Hacker
(edited by Fred Foobar on Sun 01 Jan 2010 01:01:01 -0500: added commas
after "foos".)

     But then Suzie Cobol decides that maybe it was really foos
comprising bars, which as a combination together comprised bazs, so
she changes the sentence to read as follows, and adds another comment
about the edit inline:

     See foos comprising bars, comprising bazs. -- J. Random Hacker
(edited by Fred Foobar on Fri 01 Jan 2010 01:01:01 -0500: added commas
after "foos". (re-edited by Suzie Cobol on Sat 02 Jan 2010 02:02:02
-0500: moved comma after "foos" to after "bazs".))

By now, the sentence has become hard to read because of all the inline
credits.

Since each edit changes the meaning of the sentence significantly, it
should be credited with the name of the editor and the time and data
of the edit.  However, each such credit vastly exceeds the space of
the edit itself.

A separate page listing edits would solve this problem; mutual links
would not.  For example, Wikipedia lists the page for "foobar" at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo, and the revision history page for
"foobar" separately, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Foobar&action=history.

-- Benjamin L. Russell