[Newbies] Stephane Ducasse's 'Learning to Programing with Robots'

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:03:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Max Norman <maxnorman at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm a novice programmer, who, at the suggestion of several more experienced
> developers, is attempting to get familiar with Smalltalk before moving on to
> Ruby, to more thoroughly learn and understand the concepts of
> object-oriented programming. First off, is this worth doing?

I've started learning Smalltalk after two years of professional Ruby
programming. Funny, I've learned a lot on Ruby by learning Smalltalk. Now I
think that it's easier to understand object-oriented programming with
Smalltalk. With Ruby I've learned a lot about meta-programming.

> 'Squeak by Example' appears to be for more experienced programmers, who are
> approaching Squeak/Smalltalk from a linguistic perspective.

I have discovered Smalltalk with this book. It's easy to read and I found it
useful.

Laurent Laffont.