[Newbies] Re: Smalltalk Data Structures and Algorithms

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:18:30 UTC 2009

I think K.K. is referring to the writings of Alan Kay, who is pretty
authoritative when it comes to Smalltalk. In his paper, The Early
History of Smalltalk, published by the ACM in History of Programming
Languages II (1993).

"My biology minor had focused on both cell metabolism and larger scale
morphogenesis with its notions of simple mechanisms controlling
complex processes and one kind of building block able to differentiate
into all needed building blocks. The 220 file system, the B5000,
Sketchpad, and finally Simula, all used the same idea for different
purposes. Bob Barton, the main designer of the B5000 and a professor
at Utah had said in one of his talks a few days earlier: "The basic
principal of recursive design is to make the parts have the same power
as the whole." For the first time I thought of the whole as the entire
computer and wondered why anyone would want to divide it up into
weaker things called data structures and procedures. Why not divide it
up into little computers, as time sharing was starting to? But not in
dozens. Why not thousands of them, each simulating a useful structure?
"

Online here: http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/contrib/EarlyHistoryST.html