[Newbies] Squeak on FreeBSD/amd64 - Image Question(s)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jul 29 19:28:33 UTC 2009

On 29.07.2009, at 16:46, Michael Haupt wrote:

>> So, could somebody please hint me at how to get "the correct" Image
>> for
>> 64bit FreebSD/amd64? Or is the Downloaded one OK?

It is. Images are cross-platform, you can move them freely between Mac/
Unix/Windows or any other platform.

>> If it is, however,
>> wouldn't I need a 3.10.5 Image instead of 3.10.2?
>
> If the image complains about sources not being found, it's "alive".

VM versions are somewhat independent of image versions, and supposed
to be backwards-compatible. So you usually want to install the latest
released VM, and use that to run all kinds of images, even older ones.

> There are 64bit images, but AFAIK they're mostly unsupported (I may be
> wrong there). They're available from
> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ - note, however, that those are
> not version 3.10, but 3.8.

I am not aware of anybody currently using 64 bit images.

- Bert -